Business: Private individual
Objective: To find a new role for our client that utilised her skills and paid well. Our client possessed a PhD and worked for a voluntary organisation for a modest salary. She wanted to find a role within project management but felt that she lacked the skills, experience and confidence to perform in such a role. In addition, she did not feel that she could manage financially on the salary that a person at entry level project management could command. Through our career transition process, our aim was:
- To determine whether our client had the skills and experience necessary to do this type of work
- To find out what further training would be necessary
- To create a CV that demonstrated our client’s transferable skills and relevant experience
- To apply for relevant positions
- To prepare our client for competency-based interviews
- For our client to obtain her dream job
Process: Three processes were undertaken: a psychometric assessment, the use of the FutureSelves programme, which encourages the individual to focus on where they want to be in the future, and the consideration of our client’s career to date. From this, it was determined that our client did possess ample project management experience. After focusing on specific roles of interest, we were able to determine the level at which she should apply for roles, through emphasis on the required competencies and behaviours. We narrowed it down further by ensuring that the positions she applied for matched her aspirations, i.e. her lifestyle, location preferences, culture and product/service. When our client applied for jobs, she could do so with real passion and a knowledge that she possessed the skills needed to succeed in the role. The content of her CV was reworked to give her previous experiences a slant towards her project management capabilities. Through interview preparation, we were able to ensure that our client was comfortable and confident in her ability to respond with appropriate examples in an interview situation.
Outcome: The position of project manager within a not-for-profit organisation.
- Structured career guidance and career transition process
- One-on-one coaching and guidance
- Assistance with confidence building, creating a professional CV and interview preparation
- Focused career and job search
- Clear direction through an action plan that includes SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time-bound) goals
- Ongoing contact and support to help our client stay on track and achieve her desired outcomes for her career path and other areas of her life